nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scions before true dormancy?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scions before true dormancy?
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:59:37 -0500

On Nov 15, 2009, at 5:03 PM, Spidra Webster wrote:

My home is being sold. I have worked incredibly hard on my garden here and will be sad to have to leave it behind. It looks like things will close in early-mid Dec but I don't think the trees will go dormant until late Dec. Is there any way I can induce dormancy early so that I can take scion wood? Are there any propagation options at all here?

Consider writing a "take scions" clause into the sale agreement. When I was shopping for houses one of the ones I looked at had a clause to allow the seller to take small selections of her (extensive) hosta collection at whatever time of year it's best to divide hostas. I didn't buy the house, but the clause was not a problem for me, and my guess is that it wasn't a problem for other potential buyer.

Ginda