nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Growing Amelanchier

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Growing Amelanchier
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 16:08:19 -0500

Lucky, my observation of Amelanchier X grandiflora (I think) seedlings at a conservation planting near here was that the berries were big and juicy (solids content apparently lower than A. laevis) but not as strongly flavoured as A. laevis, and the production was rather sparse. How do yours produce?

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Niagara Peninsula

Dr. Lucky Pittman wrote:
I have several A.alnifolia selections growing here, but can rarely beat the
birds to any of the fruit.
Nice little A.laevis tree in town at the public library bears heavily every
year, and I can pick gallons at a time.
Have several row-run A.X grandiflora plants, purchased as 1-yr seedlings,
from the now-defunct Bear Creek Nursery, that I planted at my kids'
elementary school about 10 years ago - they bear big, tasty berries - twice
the size of the A.laevis fruits - my wife liked them well enough that I'll
be trying my hand at propagating them from cuttings and grafting some onto
apple & hawthorn rootstocks to see which works best.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY