nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Growing Amelanchier

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Growing Amelanchier
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:15:21 -0700

Robert, I don't know what part of the country you are in. I have grown both Amelanchiers here in NM, where the growing conditions and fruiting conditions are very demanding, and they are one of my biggest successes. They fruit regularly. The animals, so far, have mostly left them alone. The last on the bush for a long time, going from juicy to a little drier, so that if I don't get them right away, they will still be there and will be tasty.

Actually, only my A.a's have fruited so far, but I expect the same form A.c.
Be sure to get selected varieties for good flavor. I believe they will be significantly tastier than species. Yes, they do remind me a bit of blueberries. Not as juicy, at least here, but a perfectly yummy fruit in its own right.

As for A.a vs A.c., I am hoping that my A.c's will provide more fruit, being significantly bigger plants. But I like having both, because the A.a's do fruit pretty heavily. I'm talking about 10 year old plants that are maybe two feet high max, so maybe 50 or 70 fruits on each one.

They do seem to grow strongly here (nothing gets too tall around here) considering the poor soil, high alkalinity and rugged wind and sun.

Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)

Robert Stanton wrote:
Hello All,

I've been considering growing Amelanchier alnifolia or Amelanchier canadensis.
Does anyone have any suggestions for one over the other? The main
difference seems to be size and not necessarily hardiness or ground
conditions. They attracted me for being like blueberries but not
requiring the acidic soil.
Also, while the fruit is described as "sweet," can it be compared to
anything else or any blend of flavors?

Thanks,
Robert

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**