nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting in a Botany Class

  • From: Gene Spears <Spears@LMC.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting in a Botany Class
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 09:06:45 -0500

Looking for some advice. I'm teaching General Botany this semester (a
sophomore college class) and wanted to end with a lab on grafting. Last lab
will be the end of November, so time may be too late already. I have about
23 students. I can get parafilm and exacto-type scapels within a few days,
but could I get the rootstocks and scion within that time frame? (I'm in
NC.)

Was planning to have each student do two grafts so they could take their
grafts home and plant a couple of trees - two would ensure pollination. So
say about 50 rootstocks and maybe twice that many scion?

Some questions?

1) Good sources with quick delivery?
2) Two good varieties that would cross-pollinate and required little care?
3) About how much would it cost?

Me teaching grafting is like a one-eyed man leading the blind, but I'm hoping
an indoor setting with sterile (somewhat) conditions and bench-grafting (mine
has always been out in the yard) would improve my sorry success rate - and
maybe the students will be better than I am.

Thanks for any advice!

Gene Spears
Zone 6 - NW NC