nafex - [NAFEX] Can I process and eat sprouted acorns?

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Can I process and eat sprouted acorns?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:51:00 -0400

Note to self: Do not store gathered acorns in a closed plastic bag.

I went to process my 2 gallons of beautiful, large nuts, opened the bag,
and was greeted by a nursery of just-starting-to-sprout acorns. I hate
to waste them (although I am sure that I will have to plant a few now,
as they are so vigorous).

Can I go ahead and process them to eat? Will the flavor be ruined by the
sprouting? Has anyone else run into this?

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC