nafex - [NAFEX] Powdery Mildew in the mulch pile

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Powdery Mildew in the mulch pile
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:28:38 -0500

Re Powdery Mildew, Ginda asked, "Okay to just toss it in the mulch pile?"

100% of my non-woody garden and orchard waste goes into my 3' x 30' mulch pile. I don't turn it and it does heat but I've mever measure it to see how hot it gets. All of my compost is used for potting soil. The only amount of it that ever gets back into the garden is the soil of tomato and pepper transplants and the root balls of each are buried deep and covered.
My pumpkins, squash and cucumbers get powdery mildew every year, usually in early September when the sun's rays become more indirect. I see powdery mildew in other people's gardens too, even among those who put their garden waste in the garbage to be hauled away.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: