nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Can I process and eat sprouted acorns?

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Can I process and eat sprouted acorns?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:55:57 -0500

I have read that they turn terribly bitter once they start sprouting. You can try anyway, just run a handful in a blender with water. Let the slurry settle and pour off the water, repeat till the water is clear. It ought to taste mild once that's done. If still bitter, too bad. I have read something about squirrels biting out the tip to prevent them from sprouting. Donna