nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Golden Russet nursery origins

  • From: "Judson L. Frisk" <JLFRISK@IOWATELECOM.NET>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Golden Russet nursery origins
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:28:39 -0500

I used to have Roxbury Russet but it was very unsuccessful in our SW Iowa Z5 climate, so I took it out.  Golden Russet and Ashmead’s Kernal both are late apples for us usually ripening in October.  We have had a cool wet summer and our fall is 20 degrees cooler than normal so both russets are not ripening well.  My Early Golden persimmon is not going to have very many ripe fruits.  But my Empire apples have colored to a purple beauty and our keeping better than in a hot fall.  Judson L. Frisk