nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Recommendations for Zone 4 pears for perry & wine

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Recommendations for Zone 4 pears for perry & wine
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:46:13 -0700

There are varieties selected specifically for perry. They have high sugar and high tannins. Two names I remember are "Butt" and "Hendre Huffcap". One oddity of many of them is that new trees can take a very long time to come into bearing. I have one that took over 15 years. The trees are supposed to be very long lived, though.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/