nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Recommendations for Zone 4 pears for perry & wine

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Recommendations for Zone 4 pears for perry & wine
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:00:38 -0500

mIEKAL
Look at their oriental list too. Okolo is listed as pyrifolia, but it was an OP seedling of ussuriensis. All the ussuriensis should be pretty hardy, and you may find one in there mentioned as having astringent fruit. Hung Li is one I think. That will let you grow pears that are fit to eat, and have just one tree to make horrible fruit for blending. You can vary your mix in pressing till you find the perfect ratio. The tannins should be considerably higher in the newly pressed juice than what you'll want in the finished product, because a lot will drop out as it ferments. I think another reason you'll be happy with the ussuriensis crosses is that supposedly the asian pears crop younger than the Europeans. I came across some reason why they'd stopped using ussuriensis in crosses, but can't remember what it is, so it must not have sounded very important to me. Hardiness was not the problem. Oh, but be sure to check that the rootstock you get is also hardy, and that is is compatible with asians. I don't have to worry about these things down here, it's all calleryana rootstocks down here. Have fun! Donna