nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Recommendations for Zone 4 pears for perry & wine

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Recommendations for Zone 4 pears for perry & wine
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:48:52 -0500

I think most of the perry pears come from England, so not much blight res nor hardiness. I don't think you'd have to worry about blight nearly as much as we do here. I think any of the crunchy pears would be fine for perry, I note that Burford is mentioned as possibly good for perry. I don't know about hardiness though. I'm very interested in the SD release 'Okolo" which ought to be plenty hardy and should at least start out crunchy. Get yourself some good hardy rootstock, get it in the ground and graft it to some hardy vars. See corvallis's website, I think they have a hardy pear list. Donna

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=11372