nafex - [NAFEX] Is my Asian pear "runted out"?

  • From: abb7@Lehigh.EDU
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Is my Asian pear "runted out"?
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:51:47 -0400

Hello,

Four years ago I ordered a Shinko Asian pear from Edible Landscaping. It fruited the second year, then I moved it during the late winter to a sunnier spot. That year it got drier than I realized, and I also let it bear about 8 fruit. This year I let it bear 10 fruit. The problem is, it has not put on one bit of shoot growth the last two years. It leafs out and flowers like crazy, but no shoot growth. Edible landscaping does not list the rootstock, so I called them, and the man I spoke with guessed that it is on ?33?, a semi-dwarfing rootstock. I guess that means OHXF 333?

I?ve seen people mention trees ?runting out?, but didn?t think much about that until now. I?m worried that the combination of moving it, maybe letting it bear too much, and the drought stress has made the tree ?runt out?, but truthfully I?m not entirely sure I know what that phrase means. So my questions are:

-Is it possible my tree is permanently stunted?
-If I prune it back this winter, will that stimulate new growth?
-If the tree is runted out, will scion from this tree behave/grow differently than scion taken from a tree that has been growing well?
-Am I better off taking it out and planting a new tree?

Thanks for any input,

Alex