nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Is my Asian pear "runted out"?

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Is my Asian pear "runted out"?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 21:59:06 -0500

I have read that pear trees dislike being moved because of their tendency to develop a taproot. Was that here it was talked about? Because the gist of it was that pears take longer to recover from being moved than most fruit trees. Donna

P.S for Don, I got a Ubileen pear on 333 and don't really think it will last many years against fireblight, so I grafted Carrick at the base of the tree. Carrick is said to make a large tree, so I was hoping for some size control. Does the vigor of this variety make it more likely it will succeed, or more likely it will develop problems with the dwarfing stock? Just wondering if you'd make a guess. I do want Carrick, so may have to graft it elsewhere. Donna