nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apples

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apples
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 15:52:49 -0700

You could trap out the codling moths. The trap manufacturers suggest two
traps per standard tree, one per dwarf. That could get a little pricey.
I've gotten away with half in a setting with great soil and beneficial
insect population.
You could also buy a small sized CYD-X codling moth virus, or you could try
Agroneem. It's effective against a pretty broad spectrum of problems while
remaining fairly gentle on beneficial insects. You'll need to spray Agroneem
twice, but it's cheap per application. The 1.5 oz. size of CYD-X can treat
one acre once (depending on pest pressure), so you'd be able to get several
sprays out of it. It would need a few applications. It keeps about two
years. The traps will need new lures each season; those run about $4, plus
shipping if necessary.
I haven't tried the CYD-X.
You can read more and see what you're comfortable with. In my own
experience - and others will have had different results - I had much better
codling moth control with organic methods, particularly traps, than with