nafex - [NAFEX] Welsh Marches Pomona

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: CalRareFruit@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Welsh Marches Pomona
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 15:01:24 -0700

Last fall I went to the UK, where I was introduced to the Marcher Apple Network - a group of apple enthusiasts in Eastern Wales and Western England. They're dedicated to researching and preserving the old varieties that used to be grown in Wales and Herefordshire.  I took loads of pictures of their apple display at the Herefordshire Food Festival and uploaded them to my Flickr acct.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/spidra/sets/72157608841861714/  Today I received this update:

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Richard Wheeler <pomona@marcherapple.net> Date: Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 10:42 AM Subject: Welsh Marches Pomona Megan, we met a year ago at the Herefordshire Food Festival and you purchased a number of books from Marcher Apple Network.  I thought you, and your colleagues in the California Rare Fruit Growers, might be interested to know that MAN will shortly be publishing the Welsh Marches Pomona. There are more details at http://www.marcherapple.net/wmp.htm  We are rather excited about this as we have seen the book developing over the last three years and now it is almost ready to print. regards Richard Wheeler

From the MAN website:

MAN will shortly be publishing this important aid in the identification of apples raised, and still grown, in the Welsh Marches. The 31 apples described include many old varieties which have been re-discovered in local orchards. Written by Michael Porter, an eminent local botanist and pomologist, and illustrated by Margaret Gill, an accomplished artist and botanical illustrator, the Pomona has been painstakingly researched over several years. At present, there are no readily accessible descriptions of the 31 varieties to be included, indeed for some of the Welsh apples there is no information at all available in the apple literature. With its beautiful illustrations and descriptions of apples, this new publication will attract interest among horticulturalists, botanists and anyone interested in the landscape, ecology, culture and heritage of the border counties of England and Wales. Further details from chairman at marcherapple dot net

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA

CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b

Garden with me on Folia: http://myfolia.com/gardener/spidra/invite

Golden Gate Chapter Blog: http://crfggoldengate.blogspot.com/

  • [NAFEX] Welsh Marches Pomona, Spidra Webster, 10/05/2009