nafex - [NAFEX] Apples

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apples
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 16:49:58 -0400

This is the first year most of my apple trees have borne fruit. They
are not pretty, it was wet early in the year and I did not get good
Surround coverage. They have a lot of Codling Moth damage. The fruit I
bagged seemed to be affected as much as the unprotected fruit, so I
obviously have a lot to learn about timing and effective control.

But oh the flavor! I have been eating store bought apples for most of
my life. It is like I have been introduced to a whole new fruit. My
varieties were all selected for eating fresh. I am so impressed by the
sweetness, the fresh floral notes, the wine-like aftertastes; they are
so complex in flavor!

Now I just have to learn to grow ones I can eat whole out of hand that
are pretty enough to share with friends.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC