nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Geneva Long vs NC-10 virginiana

  • From: "yarrylo@hotmail.com" <yarrylo@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Geneva Long vs NC-10 virginiana
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 23:56:19 +0000

 Several years ago I had the opportunity to tour John Gordon's orchard in northwestern NY state where he has scores of mature specimens of both the NC-10 and Geneva Long varieties. What was most striking was the unique appearance of the Geneva Long foliage; among a number of varieties of American persimmon it was simple to pick out the Geneva Long on that basis alone, even at a distance. The fruit also was unique among the varieties he had there, orange and oblong while the NC-10 was relatively round. Both of these varieties were ripe in mid-October when I visited, though NC-10 ripens for me in mid-September in Pittsburgh. There was another oblong variety that he had there, similar in shape to Geneva Long but red in color. I believe he called this one Geneva Red.

Alan Stein
Pittsburgh, PA