nafex - [NAFEX] Persimmon IDs? Geneva Long & NC-10

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Persimmon IDs? Geneva Long & NC-10
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 11:29:01 -0500

You know, for several years, I’ve been wondering if perhaps I mislabeled the first two persimmons I grafted – Geneva Long & NC-10, scions from John Gordon;  the ‘Geneva Long’ tree produced for several years – just a typical round D.virginiana – but had a borer infestation, and Hurrican Ike’s winds last September broke it over.  I’d always wondered why Dr. Slate called it “Geneva LONG” – when it was round.  My  ‘NC-10’ tree has only been bearing lightly, for a couple of years – but those fruits are elongate ‘acorn’ shaped fruits .

Makes me wonder if I got the IDs switched 10-12 years ago when I was first starting out with my grafting attempts; maybe my ‘NC-10’ is actually Geneva Long.

The ‘NC-10’ tree has a heavy crop this year – they’re starting to drop now, I gathered a couple dozen BIG fruits from the grass beneath it yesterday afternoon.  Lighter yellow color this year than last, when they were the typical orange D.virginiana color, but easily 50% larger – some twice the size of the fruits it’s produced the last two years.  Good flavor, and still some character to the flesh – and still just a hint of astringency in some, but not enough to stop me from eating them.

Wondered if anyone (Jerry Lehman?) might be able to shed some light on my dilemma – anybody got photos of ‘known’ specimens of these two varieties?

Lucky