nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fireblight

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fireblight
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:35:11 -0500

I agree with Ed, only I would add Ayers pear and maybe Beierschmidt.  You probably have recieved pears on quince rootstock, and can lose them stock and all if the scions aren't resistant.  At least if you plant resistant rootstock, you can keep grafting different varieties on them over the years if you don't like what you start with or want variety.  They just keep on growing.  In fact, for calleryana stock in this area, it tends to be much harder to remove than to keep alive.  Donna