nafex - Re: [NAFEX] anyone growing temperate climate passionfruit?

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] anyone growing temperate climate passionfruit?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 17:00:28 -0700 (PDT)

Mathew,  I am growing incarnata here in zone 5-6 with very mixed results.  I obtained one plant from Edible Landscapeing and started seed from Thompson and Morgan, eventually ending up with  a single plant from them.  So my two plants produce fruit that is shaped differently, with the EL fruit being round and the seedling fruit being elongated (if I didn't confuse the sources).

Unfortunately, although I can get a lot of fruit (30 per vine is about the average) few of the fruits are worth bothering with as far as eating or juicing.  I have given up on these and will likely remove them in the next year or two.

Don't get me wrong, the fruit smells great, not at all like the typical passionfruit juice you can purchase.  It is very aromatic and tastes good too.  However, there is so little juice per fruit that it is not worth the effort and some years I only get a few fruit that fully ripen.

Lee's excellent book encouraged my original effort, but so far, the results just have not proven worthwhile here.  I would encourage you to try plain incarnata since you have a warmer climate and longer growing season due to its distinctive different flavor from regualr passion fruit.  I would be willing to ship you some cuttings from mine, if you would like to given them a try.  It might be interesting to see if a longer growing season would deliver the results that have so far excaped me.  There is, however, no doubt in my mind thata additional breeding effort is needed to produce an incarnata that will be worth growing in my zone/area..  It is, however, always interesting to watch the bumble bees servicing the flowers and frequently falling asleep (or getting drunk) on them.  And lest someone suggest it, one year I did religiously hand pollinate hundreds of flowers, hoping to get a better quality fruit, but this did make a significant differnce.