nafex - [NAFEX] Mid summer Apple Pruning

  • From: Andrew Dewey <andrew@beeberrywoods.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mid summer Apple Pruning
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 18:23:16 -0400

My brother asked me this weekend about consequences of pruning a neglected 40' Northern Spy this time of year - and I couldn't give him an answer. The tree was planted by my Father who passed six years ago - And I doubt he'd done any pruning for years.

One limb to go ASAP is a 8"+ diameter one about five feet of the ground that interferes with lawn mowing. Just doing that would be a big help - and the more serious pruning could wait until dormancy. This tree is so big that a bucket truck will be necessary to reach the top.

The tree is located in the Boston suburbs - zone 6.

There is some fruit - but nothing I'd want to eat!

All thoughts welcome! Thanks!