nafex - Re: [NAFEX] plums and their curc

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] plums and their curc
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:06:52 -0500

Growers here have long since abandoned myclobutanyl for BR control and Cornell only recommends it to control blossom blight which I've never seen in 20 years- even on unsprayed trees. Indar or Orbit are much more affective SI's for this purpose as I understand it and with them I harvest stone fruit on the wettest years without much BR loss. Pristine is the new kid on the block for this purpose. Bumper is a cheaper generic version of Orbit.

None of these are available for backyard growers, though, are they? I can rarely find the fungicides recommended for most of this stuff, so I have to use what I CAN get.

I've had a lot of rot (at least some of which is brown rot, I believe) on my plums, peaches, and, especially, nectarines this year. I don't know if it's getting worse (this is only my second year with fruit, and I only had a little last year), or if it's just the weather. Although it's been a dry year here, and we're far short of our normal moisture (which isn't too great, even in normal years), we had a very cool July and there's been a lot of sprinkles of rain. So everything has stayed wet, without really giving us enough rain for any useful purpose.

So I suspect that the fruit rot is unusually bad this year. And my peaches didn't seem to ripen well - many of them had no taste - so I left them on the tree as long as I could. That's meant that a lot of them were overripe and even more prone to rot. Oh, well, I still had far more than I could eat myself - and enough to give away to the neighbors, relatives, and anyone who cared enough to pick some up (I don't deliver - heh, heh). But I think maybe they would prefer hotter, dryer weather as in our normal summers.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I never cease being dumbfounded by the unbelievable things people believe. - Leo Rosten