nafex - [NAFEX] plums and their curc

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] plums and their curc
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:49:08 -0400

Anton states, "I start at petal fall also, but timed to the plum's blooming time.  In NY, Euro plums may be more synchronous with apple blooming, but here they bloom earlier than most apples.  Then I spray once per week (if it rains) or after each rain (if the dry spell lasts longer than a week) with Imidan.  Every other spraying gets fungicide.

Imidan has a 14 day till harvest label.  However, I stop spraying with Imidan and fungicide a minimum of 1 month before harvest and switch to Surround"

My response is that there's no way I'd start doubling or tripling my application of Imidan to my Euro plums as long as I'm already harvesting at least 50% flawless fruit.  Also, I believe you are underestimating Imidan's sticking power.  It takes a couple inches of rain to seriously reduce it's effectiveness, which we did get between my sprays this season.

Also, I seriously doubt your lack of rot is due to Immunox (the home version of myclobutanyl).  My opinion is that you benefited primarily from your dry weather.  Growers here have long since abandoned  myclobutanyl for BR control and Cornell only recommends it to control blossom blight which I've never seen in 20 years- even on unsprayed trees.  Indar or Orbit are much more affective SI's for this purpose as I understand it and with them I harvest stone fruit on the wettest years without much BR loss.  Pristine is the new kid on the block for this purpose.   Bumper is a cheaper generic version of Orbit.

What I will probably do for my plums is tighten the schedule with an extra ap. on some and extend the current schedule on the others and see what happens.