nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Honeybee question Off-Topic

  • From: "Ginda Fisher" <list@ginda.us>
  • To: "Road's End Farm" <organic87@frontiernet.net>, " North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Honeybee question Off-Topic
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:21:10 -0400

Which leads me to remember that my blueberries are pollinated almost exclusively by large bumblebees.  Make sure the pollinators you actually have can get in, one way or another.

-- Ginda

Road's End Farm wrote:

Is it possible to put a honeybee hive inside the enclosure during
bloom?

I think this is sometimes done for crops requiring insect pollination
when cross-pollination is not desired because the seed of the
particular variety is to be saved, but the area from which seed is to
be saved is small enough to cover but large enough for the bees to be
OK inside it for a couple of weeks.

If you don't keep bees yourself, a local beekeeper might be willing to
do this for you, possibly in exchange for either cash or berries.

<smaller>--Rivka

Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly</smaller>