nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Honeybee question Off-Topic

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Honeybee question Off-Topic
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 22:40:57 -0500

I'm pretty sure that blueberries are only pollinated by special blueberry bees, they are a type of bumblebee. The regular bumblebees cheat by punching a hole in the side of the blossom to get the nectar without pollinating the flower.  Blueberry bees hang upside down from the flower and vibrate the pollen loose.
    I personally think you'd be crazy to try to exclude something as small as junebugs.  Here, Junebug populations change from year to year.  You could be overreacting to one bad year.  Birds are another matter.  If you want to keep them out of the patch for a few short weeks a year, bird netting will do.  I think it's Ginda who has the permanent chicken wire on the sides of her patch and covers the top when the berries are ripe?
    Now that I think of it, the Junebugs did a lot more damage to the blackberries than the blueberries.  I think they are using pheromones to call each other like Japanese beetles do, so removing new arrivals daily might stop them from accumulating.    Donna