nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Honeybee question Off-Topic

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Honeybee question Off-Topic
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 23:52:04 -0400

Yes, I have a permanent chicken wire fence around my half-high blueberries and toss bird netting over the top when they get close to ripe.  The bumble bees can get through the netting, but it's hard for them, and I don't want to make life hard for my pollinators.

I don't know if my bees are "special blueberry bees".  They look like largish bumblebees, and I can see them poking their proboscis into the flower in the usual way.  I have some wild blueberries, too, so I'm sure I have all the usual stuff that interacts with blueberries.

So far I my blueberries haven't been troubled much by pests, except the birds and chipmunks eating the fruit.  (And the ones in the back, unfenced, were eaten to the ground by deer last winter.  sigh.)  Guess I've been lucky on the insect front.

Ginda