nafex - [NAFEX] sandy soils

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] sandy soils
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:22:28 -0400

I think the limiting factor for growing any common fruit tree on any rootstock I've ever used and generally in all plants is poor drainage when it comes to soil texture.  If a sandy soil is kept adequately fertile and moist (both requiring more dillegence than in a finer soil, of course) trees that can tolerate heavy soils will grow just fine.  I prefer a lighter soil for all fruit species I grow because here in the humid east too much water is more a problem than too little and I even find anecdotally fruit quality better with higher brix in lighter soils.   Poor drainage badly affects many things in an orchard- even annual bearing.

  • [NAFEX] sandy soils, Alan Haigh, 07/06/2009