nafex - [NAFEX] English Walnut

  • From: "Mark and Alisha Fehringer" <markandalishafehringer@peetzplace.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] English Walnut
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 08:08:30 -0600

Hi,

Where are you located, Randy?

I have grown many Juglans regia 'Carpathian' walnuts from seed.  They do reasonably well in the summer, but experience lots of winterkill.  None have made it taller than knee high in 3-4 years.  Black walnuts of the same age are chest high with 2' of new growth on them.  I have tried to bud these seedling Carpathians onto the black walnut, but have been unsuccessful so far.  I have heard tale of a tree in a nearby city, but haven't seen it yet.

Mark
Northeast Colorado, low humidity, 4500' elevation, windy

  • [NAFEX] English Walnut, Mark and Alisha Fehringer, 07/06/2009