nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Honeyberry sweetness (sourness)

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Honeyberry sweetness (sourness)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:25:06 -0500

As to ripening, Haskap ripens about with the earliest strawberries, sometimes a bit earlier. They bloom later, yes, but it's warmer when they do bloom which seems to speed development.

Oh, heck, that would be great, then. I don't know when the earliest strawberries ripen, but mine start bearing in late May, and they're easily the first fruit I get (besides rhubarb, if you consider that a "fruit").

But if they bloom "months after" honeyberries, and still ripen by May, honeyberries must REALLY bloom early!

Thanks for the info.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Revivals in religion, and revivals in the slave trade, go hand in hand together. The church and the slave prison stand next to each other; the groans and cries of the heartbroken slave are often drowned in the pious devotions of his religious master. - Frederick Douglass