nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit trees under powerlines

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit trees under powerlines
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:35:45 EDT

In a message dated 6/13/2009 8:45:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rharrison922@yahoo.com writes:

   I have read somewhere, that fruit trees can benefit from the electromagnetic field underneath the power line and produce more fruit.

There is one unexplained possible example of fruit trees performing better under high voltage cross county power transmission lines. The Claypool persimmon research orchard near St. Elmo, IL has one end directly under such a line. Under the line is about 120 virginiana persimmon trees whereas the remainder of the orchard is about 2,000 trees.  The trees under that line perform better in both vigor and fruit bearing. Of course the two characteristics tend to go hand in hand.

There is one other possible explanation. About 1/3 of the orchard gently slopes to the end under the transmission line. So is it the electromagnetic fields radiating the trees or ground water draining that direction providing more moisture and nourishment?

Next to the orchard is a field alternately planted in soybeans and corn. I've never been able to see an increase in height under the lines. I don't have access to harvest records therefore have no idea about production increase or decrease under the lines.

The trees at the end under the lines do perform better. You decide, lay of the land or power transmission line, or just happen to have better genetics?

Jerry

Download the AOL Classifieds Toolbar for local deals at your fingertips. (http://toolbar.aol.com/aolclassifieds/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00000004)