nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Honeyberry sweetness (sourness)

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Honeyberry sweetness (sourness)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:45:13 -0400

I had my first taste of honeyberry this year. They were of the variety
"Blue Moon". I tasted them when they became blue - very sour. I waited
and let them sit for another week or so, just until they became a bit
less turgid. Tasted again: much sweeter, not delicious, but OK fresh.
And early, I agree about the timing - it is a gift to have berries in
early May.

Again, my first experience tasting this fruit. My soil is mostly red
clay, tends to be acidic, but the drainage is good.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC