nafex - Re: [NAFEX] global warming........an observation that has nothingtodo with science....

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] global warming........an observation that has nothingtodo with science....
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 02:22:34 -0400

A year or two ago, an online nursery included a chart of calculated global average temperatures in their catalog.  It was from US Deprtment of something or another (Maybe Geologic Survey), but it paints a very different picture of the climate than is generally accepted.  I am including it as an attachment (though I do not know if the list-serve will strip the attachment or not.

If it comes through you will notice that we are in fact on a recent upswing.  You will also notice that there appears to be a natural equilibrium at work which seems to moderate temperatures within a certain range and that we have quite a way to go before we leave that equilibrium.  You'll also note that the warmer temperatures seem to peak for longer than the lower temperatures.

I am not discounting the effect pollution, especially water pollution, is having upon the Earth and its species including us, but I think the ball of plasma at the center of our solar system has more of an effect on temperatures here on Earth and on surrounding planets than our chemically altering of the lowest 2% of the atmosphere.  WE should strive to achieve balance with the ecosystem, and reduce the particulates polluting that ecosystem, certainly, but as was previously pointed out this would have to be a humanity wide solution or as a planet, our best interest is served by status quo with strong support for new technologies, particularily energy related ones (Geothermal is one which doesn't get the attention it deserves in my opinion.  A few 2-3 mile deep holes into which water can be pumped and then the steam harnessed to make electricity would make wise investments and go a long way to reducing fossil fuel dependency).

As I see it, a few degrees warmer and slightly higher CO2 levels will help agriculture.  If they decide to put in a carbon tax, I will be expecting a credit for the 35+ trees I’ve planted in the last 5 years.

Scott Hills

Zone 6b Michigan

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**

No exceptions.