nafex - Re: [NAFEX] global warming........an observation that has nothingto do with science....

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] global warming........an observation that has nothingto do with science....
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 12:39:35 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin,  You may find it interesting to seek out a recent Scientific American article linking massive species die-out events to unusually high levels of carbon dioxide.  IF I recall correctly, the carbon dioxide levels encourage massive shifts in the algal/bacterial populations favoring ones that release sulfur dioxide in extreme amounts, which is toxic to much of the life on the planet.  The article sites locations and current events where this has happened on a smaller scale in recent years.

For me, the issue is not how much gas our cars use or anything like that.  It is that population has been growing unchecked.  We all work with bio systems in some way and should have first hand experience with out of control populations and what happens as a result..  It is impossible to deal with the carbon issue without reducing our standards of living OR reducing our population.  I do not think either of these problems is solvable under current conditions.

...And, I think this issue has everything to do with science.
John

PS  Fluffy, we too love your posts.  We are just asking that you don't 'hit' us when visiting the sandbox we play in...