nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fast fruit/weeping mulberry

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fast fruit/weeping mulberry
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 07:51:50 -0500

I know that some Nafexer had great success simply rooting mulberry cuttings.

Hmm,... I might try that when I find a particularly good wild mulberry here.

Dunno if you can keep them small though.

Surprisingly, considering how much trouble I have getting named varieties to survive, the wild ones are almost impossible to kill, it seems. They pop up everywhere here, and if you just cut the trunk off, they sprout up again. So again, that might be an option for me.

I would have transplanted one of those in the first place, but the fruit is so variable, that you never can tell what you'd get. But rooting a cutting would solve that problem.

If you spread (OLD) sheets on the ground, you can get mulberries by the
bucketful.

Yes, this is how we used to do it when I was a kid. And no worries about the birds eating them, because there was always plenty enough for everyone.

:-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
A human being has to look out for other human beings or there's no civilization. - Robert Rosenthal