nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Reliant peach

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Reliant peach
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 08:17:12 -0500

It seems a lot of you northern growers put your faith in the Reliant peach. ... I don't think this peach gives enough of an advantage to be worth its wide distribution.

My notes indicate that I planted a "Reliance," but I imagine that's the same peach, isn't it? Maybe I just wrote the name down wrong. At any rate, I was overjoyed with it last year, when I got my first peaches. (And it's a mass of peaches again this year.) So I thought it was pretty funny when people here reported that it was not a particularly good peach.

Heh, heh. Let's face it, this was the first peach I'd EVER eaten that didn't come from the grocery store,... and I grew it myself! So I was probably easy to please. :-)

But in my VERY limited experience, this tree has produced much more heavily than the others I've got (Intrepid, Redhaven, and Hardired Giant Nectarine), the peaches have been bigger, and I thought they were at least as good as the others (in fact, I liked them best). I couldn't be happier with it.

Again, I'm a complete newbie at this, and I'm not going to pretend I know anything. For me, though, the Reliance peach seems to be working out great.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I think on-stage nudity is disgusting, shameful and damaging to all things American. But if I were 22 with a great body, it would be artistic, tasteful, patriotic and a progressive religious experience. - Shelley Winters