nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Reliant peach

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Reliant peach
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:13:05 -0500

Prof. Elwyn Meader, the breeder of Reliance peach, once told me he had seen trees labeled Reliance that weren't true to name. They might have been seedlings, but whatever the source he was reasonably sure there was more than one Reliance loose in the trade. This was in 1989, so the error may have compounded by now. That might be part of the reason for the disappointing results some growers have had with it.

Very interesting, Lon. I'm guessing that this could be a common problem with all kinds of fruit trees? All it would take is for one person to cut corners, wouldn't it? And once the substitution happened, it could go on for a long, long time, I'd think (with most nurseries having no idea they weren't selling the right trees).

Or are there procedures to prevent this, in most cases?

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I have a higher and grander standard of principle than George Washington. He could not lie; I can, but I won't. - Mark Twain