nafex - Re: [NAFEX] biennial bearing

  • From: "ROBERT W JUDY A HARTMAN" <hartmansfruit@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] biennial bearing
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 17:40:30 -0700

One of the things I have read or heard of is on biennial bearing trees is that when they start the biennial process on the year that it is going to fruit heavily take one branch or more and strip all the fruit off that branch.  Then it will have the energy to create fruit buds on that branch or branches and will have fruit the following year.  Then you will get some crop every year with some branches heavy one year and other branches heavy another year.  I have tried it on smaller trees and it appeared to do the trick.  On a standard growing tree it would be hard to do but it would be worth a try.  This process would be good for backyard growers but not for commercial growers.

Bob