nafex - [NAFEX] biennial bearing

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] biennial bearing
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 18:45:22 -0400

Ed, I have been told by Tom of Adams County Nursery that Goldrush is less biennial as you go further south apparently because there is more time to store energy.  Here Goldrush stays on the tree until it is almost dormant so the tree has no time to recover from the energy expenditure of making babies.  I have tried all the common strategies as have all the commercial growers up here I talk to.  Further north you just have to deal with more biennial issues with late bearing apples.

By coincidence, I was at a site today where the Goldrush were barren after only a moderate crop last year.  Same thing with a Brambley at the same site, which incidentally didn't have a single fruit.