nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chipmonks in blueberries/ blueberry cages

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chipmonks in blueberries/ blueberry cages
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 09:02:41 -0500

Jim in Menomonie wrote:

"a cage over the blueberries, 6 feet tall, 5 feet wide, and 24 feet long, for 7 bushes"

Hmmm.... I'll have to think about this in the fall or winter instead of at the last minute every year. I have rabbiteyes, which are not nearly as well behaved as northern blueberries. They can supposedly grow to nearly 20 ft tall, though of course that wouldn't be very convenient for picking. They have some branches above head level already, we pull them down to pick. Last year we ate all we wanted and froze all we wanted, but the birds definitely got their share. I might want to cage some of the "southern highbush" when they finally start cropping. Years of drought have rather slowed their growth. Donna