nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chipmonks in blueberries/ blueberry cages

  • From: "Erdman, James" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chipmonks in blueberries/ blueberry cages
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 07:58:12 -0500

For many years, I thought that I was doing something wrong with my
blueberries, as the bushes grew only moderately sized and never had berries.
Then one winter they were completely covered with snow, so the deer and
rabbits didn't prune them all winter, and finally they had lots of blossoms
and berries. When I saw birds eating the berries, I covered them with
netting and finally harvested a crop. My solution was to make a cage over
the blueberries, 6 feet tall, 5 feet wide, and 24 feet long, for 7 bushes. An
old screen door allows easy access. I am now building a new similar cage for
the half dozen bushes that I planted last spring. Mine is covered with 1
inch chicken wire, which has a mesh measuring about 1 5/8 by 1 inch. I have
never noticed a bird getting into the cage, and I don't have a chipmunk
problem around my place.

Jim, in Menomonie, WI

<<winmail.dat>>