nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Question

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Question
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 23:05:10 -0500

Jim, I remember a Nafexer in Arkansas who ordered and grafted a bunch of persimmon selections, and was quite puzzled that they were no better than their wild ones. I think that the selections were probably a little earlier so they got fully ripe up north where the run of the mill clones didn't. In the Tennessee Valley there were a lot of good persimmons, some bad ones too. But here they all seem to be blue and inedible till well frosted, and not all that good even then.
Let's not forget that blueberries were only domesticated in the last 100 years, and that all the early varieties were either selections from the wild or crosses of wild selections. Donna