nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Squirrel control with Peanut Butter

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Squirrel control with Peanut Butter
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 17:28:48 -0500

The soft-hearted bunny-hugger types typically rail against the thought of
these vermin 'suffering',

Yeah, I'm too tender-hearted to poison the little tree rats. And I guess they've got as much right to live here as I do,... though I don't want them eating my fruit. I'm not THAT tender-hearted. Heh, heh. And it's in town, so I'm limited in what I can do. I figure it's just a matter of learning to live with wildlife. And why not?

But my low-powered electric fence does discourage them. So far, it hasn't completely eliminated the problem, but I think it's going to work well enough. Last year, it kept them COMPLETELY out of my strawberry patch. Maybe rubbing strawberry juice on the electric wires helped. It didn't do so well with the peaches, though (even though I rubbed peach juice on the wires).

But that was my first year with this, and the squirrels had been used to entering my backyard. I kept the electric fence on all winter, and I think they've learned to avoid the area. Still, peaches are a powerful draw, and I still need to make a few adjustments. I really should get a zapper that's not intermittent, too.

I'll let everyone know how it works for me this year.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep. - Saul Bellow