nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Squirrel control with Peanut Butter

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Squirrel control with Peanut Butter
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 23:29:42 -0700

The way I look at it is that since humans have gotten rid of so many of the predators that might otherwise keep the squirrel population in check, we have to step up to the plate.  The Eastern Grey Squirrel has displaced our own native Western Squirrel here (as it has in many locations). It's an incredibly successful species. We have hardly any raptors here (I never see any but heard there was a Cooper's Hawk sighted a couple blocks away a couple years ago). No snakes. (Even though I'm scared of snakes, I've even gone so far as to research possibly introducing snakes to my garden to control slugs, snails, and rodents. Unfortunately, the reptile trade seems focused on exotics. I can't find local native species for purchase.)

I bought the peanut butter and Plaster of Paris today.