nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting success

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting success
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:39:31 -0500

At 08:43 AM 4/30/2009, Mark wrote:

Another question.  Does frost/freezing damage/kill the new grafts?

I have had numerous pecan/walnut grafts, done early in the season, which had already initiated growth, killed by a late spring freeze(and it was not the Easter Big Freeze Disaster of 2007).  Can't recall what any apple/pear grafts might have done that year, but I'm thinking they probably were not significantly harmed.
It could be that the nut tree grafts had not yet callused in, and were expending stored reserves in the body of the scion to push growth, and did not have enough wherewithall to reinitiate growth from secondary or latent buds.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY

  • [NAFEX] grafting success, Mark and Alisha Fehringer, 04/30/2009
    • Re: [NAFEX] grafting success, Lucky Pittman, 04/30/2009