nafex - [NAFEX] Starting Blueberry patch

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Starting Blueberry patch
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:06:41 -0500

John Weber wrote, "we are fencing and getting ready to prepare the ground for blueberries. I have been told to use sulphur to make the ground more acidic. I am looking any and all suggestions."

It is best to prepare the ground a year or more in advance of planting your blueberries. Why? You mentioned using sulfur to acidify your ground and sulfur takes a long time to do its task. If you are the impatient type, you spread your sulfur, till it in and plant. Then, months later you learn that the ground isn't as acidic as it should be so you spread more sulfur but now you can't till it in without damaging your plants. You can't leave it lay atop the ground; it has to be worked is, somehow. You are dependent upon soil organisms to convert elemental sulfur to, ideally, sulfate which the critters do by respiration, binding oxygen ions to the sulfur. You need to get the sulfur down to the root zone and, in lieu of tilling, the soil critters could take years to accomplish the task. Bacteria don't have legs and move via cell division and that is rather slow!

Buy a ph meter! and some distilled water. To a measure of dry soil, add the water to saturate and make a reading.

I sent Pomona a chart of how much sulfur to add to what kind of soil. Here it is again, without a chart: To lower pH by 0.5, add 2/3 pint of sulfur per 100 sq. ft. for sand or 2 pints for loam. To lower pH by 1.0, add 1-1/3 pint sulfur per 100 sq. ft. for sand or 4 pints for loam. To lower pH by 1.5, add 2 pints sulfur per 100 sq. ft. for sand or 5-1/2 pints for loam. To lower pH by 2.0, add 2-1/2 pints sulfur for sand or 8 pints for loam. To lower pH by 2.5, add 3 pints sulfur for sand or 10 pints for loam.

Most soils contain a buffering agent so don't be surprised if you acidify your soil only to have the pH bounce right back to where you started. How long do you need to wait? Only your own soil knows for sure. Keep testing. It could take years to achieve the desired acidity.

And one more thing...................Do you have organic matter in your soil? Bacteria need some form of humus to do their work. 3% or more , by weight, of organic matter is recommended.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: