nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Starting Blueberry patch

  • From: T Phillips <canineaficionado@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Starting Blueberry patch
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:00:40 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for this invaluable insight into the process of changing soil ph. As much as I love blueberries, I have finally accepted that the soil here in my neck of the woods in Colorado is not good for growing them. Rather than fight nature, I am trying to turn my mind around, and grow things that naturally do well here, like currants. Oh, you lucky ducks who can grow those luscious berries!
Tina
Z-5a

"John Weber wrote, "we are fencing and getting ready to prepare the ground
for blueberries.  I have been told to use sulphur to make the ground more
acidic.  I am looking any and all suggestions."

    It is best to prepare the ground a year or more in advance of planting
your blueberries.     Most soils contain a buffering agent so don't be surprised if you
acidify your soil only to have the pH bounce right back to where you
started.  How long do you need to wait?  Only your own soil knows for sure.
Keep testing.  It could take years to achieve the desired acidity.

    And one more thing...................Do you have organic matter in your
soil?  Bacteria need some form of humus to do their work.  3% or more , by
weight, of organic matter is recommended."

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: