nafex - [NAFEX] Grape trellis question ( Anthony Curcio )

  • From: Anthony Curcio <apc@vassolinc.com>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grape trellis question ( Anthony Curcio )
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:21:34 -0500

If the fence around Anthony's orchard is only 4 feet high, and the deer haven't eaten everything yet, then there can't be that many deer in his area. There might not even be enough to eat grapes growing on the fence itself. I've picked delicious grapes growing untended on a fence.? I think the fruit getting tangled in the wire is only an issue if you want nice big bunches to sell or impress your friends with.

If their actually are a lot of deer, though, you could improve your current fence with a few horizontal wires strung higher up to discourage jumping.

Melissa

Thank you, Melissa and Lon,

I should have mentioned we string wire at the 7’ mark. The deer pressure in Nth. West Illinois is extreme. 25 in the front yard and 50 – 60 in the pasture are not unusual. We will keep the grapes on the inside posts..

Anthony P. Curcio
CEO
VasSol, Inc.
833 W. Jackson 8flr.