nafex - [NAFEX] Why have weeds???

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Why have weeds???
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 09:23:28 -0500

Kevin Moore wrote, "You folks up north don't know how nice you have it. I would love to have a couple of months away from planting and especially weeding. Sure I have fresh fruit in my yard all year 'round, but I also have weed problems all year round."

My garden/orchard is 97% weed free. What's with the remaining 3%? I don't spread mulch on the main paths so a few weeds grow at the edges. I used to put up signs along the road that read "Leaves and Pine Needles Wanted" and I'd get up to 30 cubic yards of people's yard waste which I spread just to get some non-boring exercise. I try to replenish the mulch every three to four years and I spread 4" thick. I should add that this technique only works once the perennial weeds have all been eradicated.
Nowadays, I no longer accept leaves unless just a few are mixed with the needles. When the black raspberries are all pruned, usually Mid-November, I spread fertilizer and then start spreading mulch. I use a wheelbarrow and fork but switch to a metal garden cart, sans wheels, that holds a 25 gallon barrel when snow arrives. Most of the rest of the mulch is spread late Spring to Early Summer. The only motorized implements I use are a tiller, lawn mower and a chipper/shredder. All of my raspberry and blackberry canes, plus tree prunings, are shredded into mulch too. My neighbors buy a membership to a gym to get exercise and get 'bored out of their skull'. The exercise I get spreading mulch is considerably less boring. And I giggle when I see all of the tourons who drive by absolutely flabbergasted at my no-weed garden.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: