nafex - [NAFEX] Hardy Rosemary (Arp)

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hardy Rosemary (Arp)
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 08:48:32 -0500

mIEKAL asked, "Where's a good place to order 'Arp'?"

Depends upon what you want to pay, how many you want and the desired maturity. If you just want to buy one plant that has been in the pot awhile, Nichol's Garden Nursery (2009) has them for sale for $5.95. 1-800-422-3985 They list Arp as a zone 7 plant.
Back when I was growing herbs for the fresh market, I bought from Green Mountain Transplants, Inc., (207)282-6444 (That's a Maine number). They rate Arp as a zone 6 plant. I don't have a recent catalog but, back in 2007, Arp (starts) sold for $1.50 each, but you can't buy just one plant. They come in a flat of 32; of course, you can buy other herbs to fill that (mix or match) flat. You'd want more than one anyway because I found variability within the variety - some plants performed differently than others.
Oh, and one more thing.................I over-wintered my Arp above my septic tank because it doesn't freeze over winter and Rosemary won't tolerate frozen roots. If I wouldn't have had a septic tank, I would have spread mulch 12" thick over a wide diameter to keep the ground from freezing from the side - This technique has worked for me. When I want to keep the ground from freezing, I mix leaves with (stiff) pine needles to make a fluffy mulch that won't compact until there is enough snow cover to keep the ground from freezing. Just remember, if you are to get Rosemary through the Winter outdoors, it needs to be covered allowing for air space around the plant(s).

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
www.jellygal.com
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Hardy Rosemary (Arp), Jim Fruth, 04/19/2009