nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Why have weeds???

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Why have weeds???
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:24:41 -0700

Where do you live? Sounds like a great city to avoid.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/
On Apr 19, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Kevin Moore wrote:

The weeds I have the most trouble with are all perennial and spread agressively through rhizomes. Bermuda grass and nutsedge being the worst of the bunch, but bindweeds, miscellaneous other vines and oxalis are problem makers too. I might be able to get them under control if I could put rhizome barriers at the edges of my property and get rid of all the grass. Unfortunatelly municipal ordinance dictates that a minimum 70% of yard visible from the street (front yard) must be maintained as lawn. I have seen the city come in and bush hog some beautifully landscaped yards, followed by hydroseeding, because the homeowners didn't have sufficient space devoted to lawn. To add insult to injury, the city then charges them for the wanton destruction.
I'm looking at relocating to somewhere else where I won't have this kind of restriction, but rural land prices have been rising close to 100% a year around here, and I don't want to live too far from an urban center, for various reasons.